By Sarita Rajiv
Do you find yourself getting gift weary sometimes? I know I do. It’s hard to get a gift for someone that has just about everything they want or need. At the times like these, I’ve discovered that the best gift isn’t necessarily a thing. Sometimes it’s creating an unforgettable experience, a precious memory or a moment of joy.
"Fill your life with experiences, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show."
Here’s my pick of 5 fun experiences to try out in Copenhagen – for kids and adults.
1. Painting with Royal Copenhagen
Here’s a well-kept secret. You can paint your own Royal Copenhagen tableware! Royal Copenhagen’s talented porcelain painters share their tips in intricate hand painting, at their flagship store, often. You can choose between their fluted cup or dinner plate. The not so good news is that it gets sold out quickly. Get more info here and book a spot here.
Price: 400 dkk /person
2. Ceramics at Creative Space
Another place to get your hands on ceramic painting is the Creative Space. You choose your piece of ceramic (they have nearly 170 different kinds!), pick your colours and start painting. It’s as simple as that. Go alone, go with friends, go with your mom or go with your kids.
If you’re hard-pressed for ideas, get inspired by what others have created here. When you’re done, leave your creation with the guys at the Creative Space and it will be ready for pick-up in a week- all heat fired, glazed and beautiful.
Price: Starts from 150 dkk /person
3. Fly with Copenhagen Air Experience
If you like the idea of flying, but skydiving and bungee jumping are a bit much, then air experience might be just the thing for you. Copenhagen Air Experience has Scandinavia's first vertical wind tunnel that simulates the skydiving experience. Now here’s an experience gift idea for me! They have different packages and you can buy a gift card here. The video below will give a peek of what it’s like. Go on then. Defy gravity, go fly.
Price: Ranges between 445-1095 dkk /person
4. Zoo Camps and annual passes
Did you know the Copenhagen Zoo has Zoo Camps for kids? The experiences range from being Zoo Keeper for a day to getting up close with the animals and having access to places in the zoo that you just wouldn't on a normal visit. They have a 1-day, 3-day and 5-day Zoo Camp for kids between 6-12 years.
Or get an annual pass/ gift card for either Tivoli, Copenhagen Zoo or Experimentarium City. What I like about the annual passes is that it’s a gift experience that doesn’t end in a day. The fun times last awhile.
Prices: Zoo Camp - Starts at 500 dkk/ child
- Tivoli: Starts at 300 dkk /person, Copenhagen Zoo: 275 dkk/child, 440 dkk/ adult, Experimentarium: Starts at 100 dkk/person
5. Food and a Masterclass at Verandah
I had a chance to try out the Indian restaurant, Verandah, a while ago and I came away impressed. Unlike in many Indian restaurants, in Copenhagen, the cuisine at Verandah is the genuine, good stuff. Take it from me, an Indian who knows her spices and her curries! If you have a foodie in your life that would love to partake in all that goodness, gift them a one-of-a-kind experience. Take your pick.
- Chef’s Masterclass and Lunch: If you love Indian cuisine and want an insight into the traditions and techniques of cooking Indian food, head for a Masterclass with Verandah’s head chef. You’ll head back home with recipes from Verandah’s menu, not to mention a full stomach after the 3-course meal following the Masterclass. The Chef’s Masterclass takes place one Saturday, every month.
Price: 450 dkk / person
- Kids Special: Explore Indian cuisine with your little chefs and gourmands. The Verandah Kids Special Lunch includes a 3-course lunch with snacks, main course and dessert. And adults are welcome to join in. They have it one Saturday, every month.
Price: kids 200 dkk /child; 350 dkk / adult
- Cocktail Masterclass: If drinks, and not food, is more your thing, try the Verandah’s Cocktail Masterclass, held one Thursday every month. A "blend of spices and flavours from India mingled with spirits from the west" is how Verandah describes their Cocktail Masterclass.
Price: 250 dkk /person
So go on then. Paint, eat, camp or fly...whatever you pick, it will be a gift of a different kind.
What’s the best way to get all these thoughtful and unique gift ideas? Sign up for our mails; enter your email id below:
Share your thoughts. I love feedback!